Kokomo School. First building erected in this once-thriving community was a one-room log schoolhouse, 1886. Only furnishings were a stove and split-log benches. In 1899 better equipment was acquired and a larger (30' x 60') frame building was erected. In 1907 it was enlarged to two rooms. This school was consolidated with the Carbon School in 1949. Historical marker, erected 1969. Marker located at the Community Center, near the cemetery in Kokomo. From Gorman take FM 2689 6.3 miles.
The Kokomo Community was ravaged by wildfire on December 27, 2005, when a series of wildfires broke out across central Texas.