Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Valley Wells, Texas

Valley Wells, also known as the Good Luck Colony, is eight miles southeast of Big Wells in northeastern Dimmit County.

History

The name refers to the artesian wells once found in this part of the Nueces River valley. The town began as one of several new settlements in Dimmit County between 1909 and 1917. About 1909 the Texas Land and Loan Company began to market more than 10,000 acres of land in the area. They advertised the "Good Luck Colony" across the nation. Unlike other developers in the county at the time, the TL&LC offered unimproved land save for artesian wells meant to be shared by several farmers. Many of the buyers came from Oklahoma; many lived in tents while attempting to establish their farms. Around 1911 the community built its first school; in 1914 a post office opened, and by 1915 the town had seventy-five residents. About this time the name changed from Good Luck Colony to Valley Wells. Valley Wells suffered through a period of low crop prices between 1916 and 1918. After a hail storm completely pulverized their onion crop some residents complained that the name for their settlement should have been the "Bad Luck Colony." By 1925 the population of the town had fallen to ten. Continue Reading Valley Wells History from the Handbook of Texas Online >>

Location

28° 28' 50.952" N, 99° 30' 33.156" W