Palm, (Palm Colony) originally known as Beachy, was a small farming town six miles northwest of Brundage on the old San Antonio, Uvalde and Gulf line in north central Dimmit County. Map location (above) approximate.
The community, first named for local farmer Jonas S. Beachy, was probably originally established in 1910, when the railroad began to run through the area. In 1912 its name was changed to Palm by Joseph Green, the first postmaster. The new name reflected the palm trees that were being planted around the town, but it was quite possibly also an attempt to advertise the town's salubrious climate to prospective investors. Palm was one of several colonization projects that took place in Dimmit County during a land boom there from 1910 to 1920. In 1911 a group of 160 Mennonites traveled from Ohio to settle at Palm. But like many other settlers who moved to Dimmit County during this period, they rather quickly found that their farms were much less profitable than they had hoped. The Mennonites left Palm in 1914 after suffering losses marketing their crops, and by 1915 the town was left with only twenty-five residents. Continue Reading Palm History from the Handbook of Texas Online >>