Asherton was one of several settlements founded in the county between 1909 and 1917 and was named for Asher Richardson, the local rancher and entrepreneur who established it. Richardson began planning Asherton as early as 1902, when he acquired the site in a special sale from the state of Texas. Soon afterward he formed the Asherton Land and Irrigation Company and developed his blueprint for an ambitious 48,000-acre development project. He set up telephone and railroad companies in 1905 and soon afterward began to construct shops, workers' housing, a church, and other buildings on the Asherton townsite. By 1909 the town had a post office, and when the Asherton and Gulf Railway began running in 1910, the community became a shipping point for local farmers. By 1915 the settlement comprised 1,000 residents, four churches, and eighteen businesses, including a bank, two hotels, two blacksmith shops, a lumber company, and three general stores. Asherton continued to grow until the late 1920s. In 1925 it was incorporated. Continue Reading Asherton History from the Handbook of Texas Online >>
Asher and Mary Isabelle Richardson House (Bel-Asher). Designed by noted San Antonio architect Alfred Giles and built in 1910, this imposing structure was the home of Asher Richardson and his wife, Mary Isabelle (Belle). Richardson developed the town of Asherton, routing his railroad, the Asherton and Gulf Railway Co., through the city in 1905. Christened with a combination of the Richardsons' first names, the house has remained in the family for generations. An architectural hybrid with some prairie school style influences, Bel-Asher features native sandstone construction and large projecting eaves. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1990. Located at 823 Forest Avenue, Asherton.