Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Price, Texas

Price, also known as Habern's Chapel, is a small community in central Delta County two miles northwest of Cooper. It is located on Farm Road 1530 and a dirt road just west of Big Creek.

History

Little is known about early settlement, but the area was inhabited by 1905, when Price School reported forty-one white students and one instructor. Early teachers included Pearl Haddock, Al O. Wright, and Frank Bean. On March 8, 1910, Habern's Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church was deeded property in the vicinity. In 1931 Price Baptist Church sent a delegate to a meeting of the Delta County Baptist Association. By 1936 the community had the school, a church, and a cluster of dwellings at the junction of four dirt roads. The following year the settlement had two stores and a population of forty. Price School was absorbed into the Cooper system in 1949. Maps for 1964 identified a few scattered dwellings on Farm Road 1530 and a dirt road at the site. The community still appeared on maps in 1984. Source: Handbook of Texas Online

Location

33° 23' 49.38" N, 95° 43' 47.856" W