Post Oak, Texas
Post Oak, also known as Brushy Creek and Brushy Mound, is a small farming community in central Delta County four miles northeast of Cooper and four miles south of Lake Creek, between Post Oak and Brushy creeks at Farm Road 895 just east of State Highway 19.
Little is known about early settlement, but the area was inhabited by 1850, when locals established Brushy Creek School, one of the oldest schools in the county. Early teachers included Mrs. Middleton, Mrs. Anderson, Clem Ratcliff, and Will Ward. By 1905 the school was called Post Oak. Records for that year listed sixty-eight white pupils and one instructor. The community never had a post office, and the school had closed by 1936, when Post Oak appeared on maps as two businesses and an unidentified collection of dwellings at the intersection of a paved road and dirt thoroughfares. In 1964 it had a few scattered homes, Brushy Creek Cemetery, a small lake, a golf course, and a clubhouse. In 1970 local children attended Cooper Independent School District. Post Oak still appeared on maps in 1984. Source: Handbook of Texas Online