Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Hickory Grove, Texas

Hickory Grove, located on State Highway 154 and a dirt road three miles east of Cooper in central Delta County, is bordered on the west by a branch of Big Creek and on the east by Boyd Branch.

History

The area was settled by 1875 when the Hickory Grove school opened; early teachers included J. N. Cornwall and "Dad Shannon." By 1931 local residents had established the Hickory Grove Baptist Church and sent a delegate to a meeting of the Delta County Baptist Association. The 1936 county highway map identified the settlement as a school and a cluster of dwellings. In 1949 the Hickory Grove school was consolidated with the Cooper school system. The church at Hickory Grove later closed, and a 1964 map showed only the Hickory Grove cemetery at the site. The community appeared on the 1984 county highway map. Source: Handbook of Texas Online

Location

33° 22' 4.008" N, 95° 38' 27.78" W