Daugherty, Texas            

 

 

 

 

Daugherty, also known as the Figure Two Ranch, was a ranching community on State Highway 54 some thirty miles north of Van Horn in western Culberson County. In 1883 the R. P. (Perry) Bean family from Lampasas County settled at the site of what is now the Figure Two Ranch and established the B Ranch; they moved their headquarters in 1885. Several other ranches were established in the area in subsequent years, and in 1900 James M. Daugherty bought one of them, the Black Mountain Cattle Company, and changed its name to Figure Two Ranch. A local post office was established in 1912 with Daugherty as postmaster. Two years later the community had three cattle-breeding businesses: those of James M. Daugherty, F. X. Daugherty, and Young and Daugherty. Although the post office closed in 1927, the Figure Two Ranch survived for decades. In the mid-1970s maps of the area showed a barn and a handful of dwellings, and the ranch was still marked on maps in the late 1980s.

Martin Donell Kohout

from the Handbook of Texas Online

Historical Marker for the Figure Two Ranch

 

Postmasters in Daugherty

James M. Daughterty 1912
Charles B. Hamilton 1914
Harry E. Thompson 1920
Susie R. Davidson 1922

mail service discontinued 1927

Source:  Postmasters & Post Offices of Culberson Co., TX, 1908-1930