It was named for E. E. Savage, on whose property the first gin was erected in 1924. In 1927 the gin burned, but C. P. Dean purchased the site and rebuilt the gin in 1928. With Claud Adams serving as manager, the gin was modernized and has remained the primary business concern in Savage. A general store also served Savage at one time. The community was still listed in 1990. Source: Handbook of Texas Online.