Lorenzo. Founded when Crosbyton-South Plains Railway ran first train here, April 10, 1911. Named for Lorenzo Dow, employee of C. B. Livestock Company, which promoted the town, and in 1914 encouraged area to plant cotton. Incorporated in 1924. Now a center of cotton growing, with fine churches, school, businesses. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1966. Located on the lawn of Community Center, 409 Van Buren, Lorenzo.
Lorenzo. The town of Lorenzo was named for Lorenzo Dow, an employee of the C. B. Livestock Company, who secured title to the townsite on April 2, 1910. In July 1910 the Crosbyton-South Plains Townsite Company acquired the title from him, and during the next year the company employed H. E. Smith to survey the town and begin the sale of lots. The first train passed through town in 1911, over track laid by the Crosbyton-South Plains Railroad, and in September of that year Viola Ellison conducted the first school classes in a store built by the C. B. Livestock Company. Also in 1911 the post office was established and Alice McGuire became postmistress, a position she held until 1920. In 1914 W. E. McLaughlin established the community's first bank, and Clay Dunlap built its first garage. Lorenzo was incorporated on April 2, 1924. In 1930 it had a population of 739. Though many residents left during the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl in 1940 the population was 616. In 1950 Lorenzo had 935 residents and fifty-seven businesses. Between 1940 and 1962 the school districts of Pleasant Hill, Estacado, Robertson, and Farmer were consolidated with that of Lorenzo, increasing the land area of Lorenzo Consolidated School District to 226 square miles. The community's population was 1,188 in 1960 and 1,206 in 1970. In 1980 the town had a population of 1,394 and thirty-four businesses. In 1990 its population was 1,208. The population grew to 1,372 by 2000. The local economy is supported by cotton farming. Source: Handbook of Texas Online.
Lorenzo Cemetery. In 1876, the Texas Legislature created the Crosby Land District, which included several present-day Panhandle counties. Ranchers soon began establishing large ranches throughout the region, and in 1890, brothers Avery, John Stuart, Howard and Prentiss Coonley of Chicago joined with Julian Bassett of New York to form the C.B. Livestock Company. In 1910, the company planned a rail line from Crosbyton to Lubbock, with towns platted along the route. It named the one here for Lorenzo Dow, a company attorney, and in 1916 it deeded land at this site to the county for a community cemetery. The first burial in Lorenzo Cemetery was reportedly that of a child who died of whooping cough in 1916. The first marked grave, dating to 1918, is that of W.A. Greenhill. Over the years, volunteers and local groups, including a cemetery association, have provided maintenance, helping to preserve th collective history of Lorenzo. The county sold the property in 1995 to the City of Lorenzo, and today the cemetery is a link to generations of men, women and children who made unique and lasting contributions to the community. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2003. - Historical Marker Text. Located on FM 378, 1.8 mi. N of US 82/114, at CR 105.