Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Pleasant Grove, Texas

History

Pleasant Grove Cemetery. The 1850 U.S. census lists 94 soldiers at Fort Gates, including Irish-born Hugh Sheridan. After Fort Gates closed in March 1853, Sheridan and other families settled on farms in the Leon River lowlands. They established the Pleasant Grove community, likely named for the groves of post oak trees scattered in the area. Sheridan, Nimrod Brown, William B. Powell, and the Worthington, Traller, Cummings, Price and Hall families were among the first landowners. John Marshall Brown, son of Nimrod Brown, was appointed trustee of Pleasant Grove School District No. 26 by Coryell County Judge S. B. Raby in Nov. 1877. William B. Powell donated land for a school in 1883, stipulating that religious services be permitted in the building. The school enrolled 41 students in 1902. Pleasant Grove residents attended the 1904 farmers education and co-operative union in Mound, and had a democratic club in 1908. The school operated until 1910, when Pleasant Grove, Farmers Branch and Branchville schools consolidated to form the Ewing school district. A community burial ground was established on the farm of Walter T. Worthington. The earliest dated gravestone is for Catherine Janes, who died in 1867 at age 74. Dozens of burials had occurred by 1899, when Worthington deeded two acres “to be used by Pleasant Grove community as a graveyard forever and I also sell to said community the fence as it now stands on the north side of this tract of land, for $25.00.” Notable burials include military veterans from the Civil War through World War II, and an unusual inscription for Joseph H. Taller noting he was born at sea in 1832. Fort Hood provides maintenance for this still-active cemetery, which is the last remaining historic resource of the Pleasant Grove community. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 2013. Located on Ft. Hood Army Base.

Location

31° 22' 9.768" N, 97° 40' 17.904" W