Oglesby History 1936. This progressive Coryell County town is located near the east line of the county on the Cotton Belt Railway and on Highway No. 7. It has a population of approximately 500 people. It is surrounded by one of the richest agricultural districts in the county.
J. N. Davidson built the first home here, on a survey that now bears his name. That was in 1854. An aged boisd'arc tree near the Jim McKelvain home marks the site of this first home. About the time Wyatt Hall settled on what is known as the Wyatt Hall survey south of town.
On Blackwell's Branch Dick Blackwell and the Landford brothers established homes. Down on Station Creek Charles Karnes established in 1853; Pat Morris in 1854; Thomas Rucker in 1856; A. P. Pennington in 1866; Juan Lewis in 1870 ; and other, came later. Continue Reading Oglesby History Written in 1936 >>
First Baptist Church of Oglesby. This church traces its history to 1893 when a revival was held in Oglesby. The official founding date of this congregation is September 1896. J.M.B. Gresham was elected as the first pastor of the church, which held services once or twice monthly until 1937. The first church building, destroyed by fire in 1913, was replaced in 1914. Additions were made over the years to accommodate the church's activities. The congregation supports traditional spiritual programs and has a long history of missionary outreach and community involvement. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1996. Located at 118 College Ave, Oglesby
First Methodist Church of Oglesby. This congregation was organized in 1891 as the Methodist Episcopal Church, south, and boasted 56 members in its first year. The Rev. J. David Crockett served as its first pastor. A church structure built in 1891 was destroyed by a tornado in 1893. A second structure completed by the congregation that year was replaced by this late Victorian-Era Queen Anne style building in 1912. It features a symmetrical form with a central gable and flanking bell towers. The church has sponsored an annual harvest festival to fund missionaries throughout the world, including Japan and Africa. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1992. Located at 109 College St., Oglesby.