Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Oglesby History 1936

Oglesby History Written in 1936

Oglesby. This progressive Coryell County town is located near the east line of the county on the Cotton Belt Railway and on Highway No. 7. It has a population of approximately 500 people. It is surrounded by one of the richest agricultural districts in the county.

J. N. Davidson built the first home here, on a survey that now bears his name. That was in 1854. An aged boisd'arc tree near the Jim McKelvain home marks the site of this first home. About the time Wyatt Hall settled on what is known as the Wyatt Hall survey south of town.

On Blackwell's Branch Dick Blackwell and the Landford brothers established homes. Down on Station Creek Charles Karnes established in 1853; Pat Morris in 1854; Thomas Rucker in 1856; A. P. Pennington in 1866; Juan Lewis in 1870 ; and other, came later.

Mr. Davidon traded lands to William Oglesby for the latter's ranch on Coryell Creek. Mr. Oglesby at once began ranching and farming on his newly acquired lands. The country was then open range, fenced only with rails. Up to the coming of barbed wire and the railroad, the country in proximity to Oglesby was the scene of enactment of some of the most tragic killings connected with the old cattle feuds.

In 1882 the Cotton Belt railway reached Oglesby's ranch. Mr. Oglesby donated land for a townsite, and the name of the place was changed from Hilltop to its present name.

M. B. Hitt bears the distinction of having been the first merchant, the first railway station agent, and the first postmaster. There was a school at Rock Springs, a mile from the new town.

The Baptist, Methodist, Primitive Baptist, and Disciples of Christ all soon had church established. About the year 1900 an excellent stone school building was erected in the town.

Early physicians here were D. M. Jordan, now deceased, C. M. Moore, and later F. C. Green and D. C. Homan, the latter two being natives. of this county. In the 1890's and later, the town has had such business men as J. C. Stockburger, Sam Kester, Eph Pennington, B. A. McKelvan and others. Men now in business are T. P. Rucker, L. A. Woods, manager for J. D. Mann, Alex Baker, manager for Lee Hardware Co., R. S. Lewis, D. W. Jones, Alton Dalton, and several gas and oil stations. M. V. Dalton is Justice of the Peace, and John Crouch is Constable. Alex Moore, who spent twenty-seven years at Boone's lime plant,. is operating a restaurant, and Melvin Dixon a grocery store.

The organizations of worship are as follows: The Methodist, who have an excellent building; the Missionary Baptist, who also have a large church building; and both divisions of the Primitive Baptist have buildings.

Continued

Location

31° 25' 6.6" N, 97° 30' 26.064" W