King was once known as Stringtown because settlers built their homes in a line along the creek. The Stringtown Baptist Church was established in 1875. When the community applied for a post office in 1882, the postal service rejected the name Stringtown. Residents then submitted the name King, in honor of Henry King, a local storeowner. John W. Seay was the first postmaster. By the mid-1880s King had a steam gristmill and cotton gin, three churches, a district school, and a population of eighty; area farmers shipped cotton, corn, and oats. The town reached its peak in the 1890s, when it had 100 residents. The population remained fairly stable until the early 1940s, when it fell to twenty-five. The post office at King was discontinued in September 1953, and mail for the community was sent to Gatesville. In the 1980s a business, a church, and a cemetery marked the community on county highway maps, and the population was reported as twenty-five; residents still numbered twenty-five in 1990 and 2000. Source: Handbook of Texas Online.
King Baptist Church. This church traces its history to 1875, when a Baptist congregation organized and held worship services in the Stringtown log schoolhouse. Baptism services were conducted at Cowhouse Creek. In 1880 Monroe and Mary Puett deeded two acres of land to the Baptist Church. A new sanctuary was built in 1901 using volunteer labor. In the 1930's the church changed its name to King Baptist Church. Weekly services began in 1951. Church members built a new sanctuary and educational facilities in 1974. The church has served the area for more than 120 years. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1997. Location: from Gatesville: west on US 84 to FM 116, 3 miles south to FM 1783, 7 miles west to King.
KIng Cemetery. This site was in use as a burial ground well before it was formally deeded in 1880 for church and school purposes to what was then known as the Stringtown Baptist Church. A number of graves date to 1873, but unmarked burials may be earlier. Residents of King and nearby communities contributed their time and money to care for the cemetery over the years, and an association established in 1960 has organized this effort, providing for needed maintenance and improvements. Today, descendants contribute to a trust fund to preserve the dignity of this site that chronicles the pioneers and generations of the King area. Historic Texas Cemetery – 2001. - Historical Marker Text.