Eagle Springs Churches 1936
Eagle Springs Church History Written in 1936
Eagle Spring's Gretna Green
About a mile north of the once notable old village of Eagle Springs stands a house that once was the home of the Baptist Divine John McClain. This is a typical well-to-do farm house of pioneer times. In its time it was a modern, well built house as compared with other pioneer houses of the same settlement. In the years prior to the Civil War this fine old man settled at this place, and started building a home and rearing a family.
The little farm spread to the rear of the house, and was coursed by a stream of clear flowing water which nourished the fields as the old man's spirituality nourished the souls of the pioneer people living around Eagle Springs. In front of the house stands a number of fine old Arbor Vitae trees that were planted by the owner of the house. Since the evergreen is the symbol of eternity, so are these trees a fit symbol of the old man's devotion to the spreading of the Gospel among the people who lived within reach of this place.
Rev. McClain was a noted preacher, and many are the older people who acknowledge the influence of this man upon their spiritual lives.
Eagle Springs Baptist Church
On November 6th, 1858, Rev. McClain organized the first Baptist Church at Eagle Springs. He also became its first pastor. This church had as charter members the following names ; J. H. Estep, Nancy Estep, E. A. Culpepper, Tobitha Culpepper, Wyatt Hall, Naoma Hall, F. M. Grimes, Elmira Grimes, Mary A. Grimes, Daniel Jones, Serepta Hall. Upon the founding' of McGregor, this church was moved to that place. For the information contained in this paragraph, I am indebted to Miss Mary Jones of Moody, who is a granddaughter of the Daniel Jones and Mary A. Grimes, who are listed above as charter members of the first Baptist Church at Eagle Springs.
Next to the founding of the church, the thing that made this man and place most famous, was love-lorn youth, seeking a minister to speak the words that would make them man and wife sought out this place. The runaways came horse-back, in buggies, rain or shine, in the daytime or night, as expediency demanded. These runaways however, were a very small minority of the great number for whom the marriage ceremony was performed. He was called to go long distances, all over the country, to tie the hymenial knot. It is said that this devoted old minister officiated at more than 1500 weddings. At any rate we have heard many of the older settlers declare this number to his credit.
The large family of sons and daughters reared here went into the world imbued with the spirit of their progenitor.