Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Proctor, Texas

History

One mile northeast of this well stood old Proctor, named for A. W. Proctor who gave land for first school. Town moved here in 1890 when construction halted on the Fort Worth and Rio Grande Railroad. Considered for county seat since rail freight was shipped here. In 20 years following coming of railroad, town developed into an important business center. It had a post office, newspaper, depot, hotel, cafe, livery stable, lumberyard, telephone system, 2 gins, 2 grocery stores, 2 barber shops, 2 drugstores, 2 doctors, 3 churches, 4 lodges and a high school. Community boasted of an outstanding baseball team and a brass band that played for school programs, picnics and other public gatherings. During this time town became a shipping center. Originally two wells were hand-dug in the center of Main Street. This one has been preserved as a landmark. The wells furnished water for drinking and fighting fires; water was drawn by hand and poured in 2 wooden troughs for stock; wagon trains coming through stopped to water their teams and replenish their supply. Today water is again playing an important part--Proctor Reservoir is bringing new life to this pioneer community. (1967) - Historical Marker Text

Location

Proctor, TX 31° 59' 14.5212" N, 98° 25' 47.1612" W