Skip to Content
Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Comanche County, Texas

Cities, Towns & Communities

Comanche | Comyn | Cora | De Leon | Downing | Duster | Energy | Gustine | Hasse | Lake Proctor | Lamkin | Newburg | Proctor | Rucker | Sidney | Sipe Springs | Vandyke

History

Comanche County History 1922.  Comanche County. This county was created in 1856 and organized, with a local government, on March 17th of the same year. Its territory was taken from Coryell and Bosque counties, and was originally a part of the great Milam District, which was a nominal jurisdiction from the time of the Texas Revolution. Comanche was one of twenty or more counties in Central Texas that came into existence before the war, but it was on the western frontier, and was very sparsely inhabited, living conditions were primitive, industry was pastoral rather than agricultural, and for the greater part of two decades the people were able to accomplish little more than maintain their precarious foothold. The wave of immigration that settled the Upper Brazos Valley also extended to Comanche County, and in 1860 its population was officially 709. During the following decade the resources of the older counties were absorbed in the struggle of the war, while the hostilities of the Indian tribes made settled conditions impossible along the border. The real development of the county began about 1870, when its population was 1,001. By 1880 population had increased to 8,608 : in the following decade, though a portion of Comanche was taken to form Mills County, population increased to 15,608 by 1890; in 1900 it was 23,009; in 1910, 27,186; in 1920, 25,748. Continue Reading Comanche County History Written in 1922 >>

Resources

Comanche County Genealogical Society
Comanche County Historical Museum
402 Moorman Road
Comanche, Texas

Comanche Public Library
311 N. Austin Street
Comanche, Texas 76442
325-356-2122

Location

Comanche, TX 31° 53' 50.5284" N, 98° 36' 13.1688" W


book | by Dr. Radut