McKinney and Collin County History 1924
Feed and other important crops were also produced. Perhaps the most important other crop was onions. From one hundred fifty to four hundred cars of onions are grown annually. Poultry and livestock are also important industries, their proceeds annually amounting to one and a half million dollars. Fruit and truck also grow well in the county.
The total proceeds of the soil and auxiliary farm industries of livestock and poultry of the county in the year 1923 totaled more than twenty million dollars. This is twenty-five percent gross production on the eightymillion dollar actual valuation of the entire farming project of the county as estimated by the Federal census of 1920, that is the combined value of land, improvements, implements, machinery and livestock.
The county is traversed by five steam railways and by one electric interurban railway. The county has also invested more than five million dollars in the construction of improved highways or pikes.
Its school system is highly developed, having fifteen independent high school districts and one hundred seven rural school districts. Many of the school buildings are brick structures and modernly equipped.
The county's population is estimated at 60,000 of which not two percent tan speak a foreign tongue. It is largely native born Americans, few foreigners and negroes. Collin is the densest rural populated county in the slate. Its farms are highly improved. Many farm homes are provided with electric lights, sewerage and other modern conveniences usually found only in cities.
The principal towns of the county are: McKinney, Farmerville, Plano, Celina, Wylie, Frisco, Nevada, Allen, Lavon, Josephine, Princeton, Altoga, Blue Ridge, Westminster, Anna, Melissa, Weston and Prosper.
McKinney was incorporated in 1849 to which the county seat was immediately removed from Buckner. John L. Lovejoy was the first merchant. He was a pioneer Methodist preacher in Texas, who served as chaplain of one of the earliest legislatures to convene in the state. He was the father of John L. Lovejoy II, fourth county clerk of the county, and the grandfather of John L. Lovejoy III, lately deceased, president of the First National Bank of McKinney, which financial institution was established in 1869. John L. Lovejoy I, was also the father of James H. Lovejoy, third sheriff of Collin county. McKinney was the home of James W. Throckmorton, eleventh governor of Texas, serving 1866-67.
The late Chief Justice T. J. Brown of the Supreme Court of Texas was also a practicing lawyer of McKinney for a number of years in partnership with Gov J. W. Throckmorton. McKinney is the home of Admiral Henry A. Wiley of the United States Navy. McKinney's present population is 10,000 including the cotton mill and other suburbs. The city has the commission form of government consisting of a mayor, Tom W. Perkins, and two commissioners, M. T. Jones and Will J. Rhea, present incumbents.
Its elevation is 592 above sea level. Average rainfall, forty inches. Average date of first killing frost, November twenty-eighth; average date of last killing frost, February twenty-seventh. Its mean average temperature is 56.5. An abundance of pure artesian water is drawn from the Woodbine sand, 1100 feet depth. Typhoid fever is practically unknown and death rate is low.