Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Reese, Texas

Reese is located at the intersection of Hwy 175 and FM 3410, northwest of Jacksonville in northwestern Cherokee County.

History

Reese. In 1895, Miss Angie Lane was appointed postmistress of a new office just east of the present Reese for which, in order to prevent its being named for herself, she suggested the name Andy, in honor of A. J. (Andy) Chessher, then the Jacksonville postmaster. When the Texas and New Orleans Railroad built a switch called Reese, in honor of Reese Lloyd, a conductor on its line, John H. Henderson, who had succeeded Miss Lane as postmaster, had the name of the office changed to Reese. Henderson also promoted a town site around the new station. Among the early Reese merchants were John Plair and Etheridge & Owens. Today J. J. Larson has the only store. Among other pioneer families in the Reese neighborhood were the Mitchells, Dodsons, Smiths, Lewises, Murrays, Russells, Pinsons, Coates, Reeves, and Liles. - A History of Cherokee County, 1934 by Hattie Joplin Roach

Location

32° 1' 23.592" N, 95° 23' 31.848" W