Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Pine Town, Texas

History

Pine Town, located in a virgin pine area, existed in the middle '40s [1840s]. The name, however, was partially a misnomer. The community had neither store nor church. Later it became a station on the stage line between Rusk and Palestine but its citizens continued to worship at Mt. Comfort Church near by and haul supplies from distant stores. Among prominent Pine Town settlers were the Pardews, Beards, Nortons, Broomes, Ballews, Campbells, and Cremes. In 1866, Mrs. N. C. Crume was postmistress. Community life centered in the A. Jackson Masonic Lodge and the school. In the '70s [1870s] the excellent Pine Town school was the educational center for the surrounding territory. Among its teachers were P. Williams, Joab Moore, J. H. Cannon, and Miss Maggie Taylor. The present Maydelle precinct is the old Pine Town voting box established at James Beard's house in 1848 and changed to Pine Town in 1850. - A History of Cherokee County, 1934 by Hattie Joplin Roach

Three communities went into the making of Maydelle—Pine Town, some three and one-half miles southwest ; Java, about two and one-half miles south; and Ghent, around two miles north of the present Maydelle. - A History of Cherokee County, 1934 by Hattie Joplin Roach

Pine Town was near the confluence of Tails Creek and One Arm Creek ten miles southwest of Rusk in west central Cherokee County. The area was first settled in 1845 and quickly became a stopping point for stagecoaches on the road from Rusk to Palestine. A post office for the stop was authorized on March 8, 1847, and operated briefly under the name U. Auglin, a misspelling of the name of the postmaster, Valentin Auglin. A new post office opened in 1848 under the name Pine Town. A school district was formed in 1854, and a Masonic lodge was established just before the Civil War. Despite its name, Pine Town remained a dispersed rural community, with several stores, mills, and gins spread throughout the area. The post office closed in 1874, but the community maintained its identity until 1900, when the Texas State Railroad was constructed from Rusk to Palestine. Within a short time most of the merchants and residents of Pine Town had moved to the newly founded town of Maydelle, on the railroad, and by 1920 Pine Town had disappeared. In the early 1990s only a few scattered dwellings remained in the area. Source: Handbook of Texas Online

History Book

Vanishing Towns of Cherokee County, Texas: Pine Town, Gent, and Java, 1983, by Bernard W. Mayfield

 

Location

31° 45' 57.708" N, 95° 20' 29.436" W