Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Mount Hope, Texas

Mount Hope was on U.S. Highway 69 just north of Wells in southern Cherokee County.

History

Mount Hope was established around the time of the Civil War and grew up around an early church. A local school was in operation by 1896, when it had an enrollment of seventy-four. In the mid-1930s Mount Hope had a church, a school, and a number of houses. The school was later closed, and in the early 1990s only a cemetery and a few scattered houses remained in the area. - Source: Handbook of Texas Online

Mount Hope Cemetery. Joseph and Mary Bowman were married in Tennessee in the early 1800s. They moved their family to Missouri, then Mississippi and finally came to Texas with Stephen F. Austin's colony. Joseph, John J. (1807-1890) and James H. (1820-1886) Bowman fought in the Texas War for Independence from Mexico. James H. Bowman never married. In 1875 he offered one hundred acres of land to the Rev. W. D. Lewis (1819-1898) of the Barsola community to come to Mt. Hope community and establish a Methodist church at that location. Bowman gave adjacent land for a cemetery. The Rev. Mr. Lewis accepted his proposal. In November 1875, Mrs. Margaret (Ruby) Hicks, the wife of farmer Jasper Hicks and mother of Jess Hicks, died and was the first person to be interred on this site. The church was moved to nearby Wells after the railroad came through in 1886, the year that James H. Bowman was interred in Mt. Hope Cemetery. Among the early settlers buried here are members of the Bailey, Beasley, Bowman, Chapmon, Creekmore, Chandler, Cravens, Dubose, Doyle, Humphrey, Falvey, Hillencamp, Hicks, Lees, Lockhart, Luce, Lewis, Ruby, Spinks, Shamess, Stokes, Sneed, Sessions and Tyra families. Those interred here include area farmers and ranchers, teachers, doctors, business and civic leaders, and elected officials including former mayors, county commissioners and state legislators. Of the more than 1800 people interred on 13.2 acres at the dawn of the 21st century, more than two hundred were veterans of major wars and military conflicts, including eight Confederate veterans. The cemetery is a memorial to the pioneers of this area. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1999. Location: 1.5 mi. NW of Wells on CR 2626 (Homer-Alto Road)

Mount Hope Cemetery. James H. Bowman, a veteran of the Texas War for Independence from Mexico, offered 100 acres of land to the Rev. W. D. Lewis to come to the Mt. Hope community and establish a Methodist church and cemetery. The Rev. Mr. Lewis agreed, and the congregation began in 1875. In November of that year Margaret (Ruby) Hicks was the first person to be buried in the adjacent cemetery. Though the church congregation moved to nearby Wells after the arrival of the railroad in 1886, the cemetery continued to be a place of importance to the Mt. Hope and Wells communities. Among the more than 1800 people of Wells, Mt. Hope and other Cherokee County communities interred here, there are more than 200 military veterans, including eight Confederate soldiers. The cemetery is a chronicle of the history of Cherokee County. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1999. Location: (2 mi. SE of marker) US 69 at old Homer-Alto Road, 2.9 mi. NW of Wells

Location

31° 30' 20.88" N, 94° 56' 58.884" W