Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Ironton, Texas

Ironton is located on FM 3210, west of Hwy 79, southwest of Jacksonville in southwestern Cherokee County.

History

Ironton.  C. H. Martin, immigration agent for the International and Great Northern Railroad Company, promoted the Ironton town site. The near-by ruins of the old Chapel Hill Manufacturing Company's iron plant suggested the name. Among the pioneers living in the section prior to the establishment of the town were the Barnes, Benges, Pritchetts, and Hardaways. Among early merchants were T. F. Prigmore, C. C. Brittain, J. W. Patton, and W. B. Bates. W. J. Pool was the first postmaster. Doctor J. M. Brittain was a pioneer physician. In 1905, Martin donated the site for the "Town Hall of Ironton, to be used for preaching, public speaking, union meetings and a school." Today the town has one store, two churches and a five-teacher school. - A History of Cherokee County, 1934 by Hattie Joplin Roach

Location

31° 55' 8.616" N, 95° 22' 24.816" W