Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church. Originally named Black Cypress Church, Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church organized in 1861 in the community of Sardis, which was established prior to the Civil War. At the time, Sardis was a small community with several businesses. For much of the church’s history, members elected pastors yearly, with a number serving multiple terms. The first recorded pastor was John Massey, elected when the church was founded. By the 1870s, the members erected a church building. Throughout the following decades, Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church served as an important religious and community institution in Sardis. It continues to meet the spiritual needs of residents in southwestern Cass County. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 2007.