Queen City, Texas
Mathews - Powell House. Victorian residence built 1878 by William Franklin Mathews (1840-1900) and wife Harriet India Sharp. Mathews, a Confederate veteran and farmer, moved to Queen City when it was founded (1877) and became a successful merchant. Briefly owned by various people after 1895, house was bought 1918 by Ross A. Powell (1883-1937) and wife Gussie Boyd (d. 1920). Like Mathews, Powell was a merchant. This structure is still owned and preserved by a Powell heir. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1973.