Douglassville Baptist Church. This church was organized in 1869 by 14 charter members and two elders. Services of all faiths were generally held in a school building in that era. The congregation erected its first church building in 1870 with volunteer workers. That frame chapel with spire, once storm-damaged and rebuilt, was relocated in 1948 to join the present building as a fellowship hall. This church has never had more than 50 resident members, but has furnished Texas and the nation with numerous ministers, teachers, and business leaders. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1976. Located on Highway 8, 2 blocks north of its intersection with Highway 77 (east side of road).
Methodist Episcopal Church of Douglassville. Area Methodists established a church on this site in 1856, shortly after the founding of Douglassville. It replaced arbors and campgrounds as the center of worship, and was first served by circuit riders. Land was bought from Williamson Petty by board of trustees, which included R. P. Rutland, A. H. Chappell, S. L. Easley, J. E. Morris, W. L. and B. G. Heath, R. A. Brooks, T. J. Wilson, and J. H. Snipes. The trustees purchased land for the parsonage in 1870. The present building, erected in 1908, was remodeled and enlarged in 1947. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1973. Located on SH 8 in Douglassville, about 3 blocks N of junction SH 8/SH 77.
Douglassville Cemetery. Williamson Petty (1820-61), Sulphur River ferryman, donated land for this cemetery from a claim which he settled in 1850. Col. John C. Douglass (1818-63), from Georgia, bought in 1855 all of the Petty claim not previously reserved for school and church. The cemetery took its name from his town of Douglassville. The earliest legible stone (1859) marks the grave site of Mrs. Henrietta Cook and her infant twins. Additional land was acquired in 1928 and 1939. The cemetery has about 400 graves and a governing association. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1976.