Cass County Courthouses
First Courthouse - Jefferson (prior to Cass County giving up land for the creation of Marion County) 1846-1852.
Second Courthouse - Linden, frame building 1853-1865
Third Courthouse - Linden, current courthouse in use 1865-present. Remodelled several times altering the look of the courthouse.
Cass County Courthouse. When county was organized, 1846, courthouse was in Jefferson (now in Marion County, created from Cass in 1860). Linden was made county seat, 1852; a frame courthouse was built here, 1853. This brick structure, begun in 1860, was not completed until after the Civil War ended in 1865. It cost $9,877.00. It was enlarged in 1900 and 1917. After a fire in 1933, third floor was added. Courthouse now is valued at $1,000,000.00. Site of early work of 20th century U. S. Congressman Wright Patman and Texas Supreme Court Justice Ralph Hicks Harvey. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1967
The Cass County Courthouse was designed by Judge Charles Ames in 1859 and was constructed of local brick made by J. Thomas Veal and L. W. Lisenbee, who were also the builders. The Civil War delayed the building's completion until 1866. This 50-foot by 60-foot structure was two stories high with four brick chimneys. It featured a hipped metal roof painted a lead color and a square, 23-foot high cupola with a zinc covered dome, crowned with a spire and a wooden ball. Both the ball and spire were covered with gold leaf. The interior featured 12-foot high ceilings and tongue and grove flooring. The entire courthouse was painted 'Spanish brown' inside and out. Around 1900, a 15-foot wing was added to the east side of the building by B. H. Singletary of Atlanta, Texas. In 1917, two more wings were added, one on the west side and another on the east side. The architect for this addition was Stewart Moore, form Texarkana, Texas, and the contractors were A. M. and R. G. Brashears, also from Texarkana. In 1933, a fire destroyed part of the second floor. The damage was repaired immediately; the tin covered cupola was removed, and the third floor was added. Sometime after the fire, stucco was applied over the brick and was painted white with deep tan trim.
In 1979, a fourth addition of offices and an elevator were constructed on the west side of the courthouse. The existing three-story, Classical Revival style courthouse is the result of these renovations. The seven-bay longitudinal elevation features a prominent, three-bay, two-story entry portico with a pediment and Roman Doric columns. The pediment is decorated with a semi-circular fan window. The hipped roof is made of red tile and has a deck but no railing. The original brick chimneys are no longer present. Most of the windows on the first and second floors are nine panes over three panes and double hung with a modest sill. Third floor windows are casements, mostly used in pairs, but occasionally used individually.