Calhoun County Courthouses
|Remains of the Second Courthouse at Indianola|
|Third Courthouse, Port Lavaca, built in 1887|
|Fourth Courthouse, built 1912, demolished 1959|
|Current Courthouse, built in 1959|
Calhoun County has had two county seats and five courthouses. The first county seat and courthouse was in Lavaca, 1846-1852. The county seat was moved to Indianola in 1852, where the second courthouse was built in 1857 and destroyed by hurricane, along with most of Indianola in 1875 and 1886. The county seat was moved back to Lavaca (now renamed Port Lavaca), where a new courthouse was built in 1887. Another courthouse was built in 1912, and later demolished in 1959, when the current courthouse was opened.
First Calhoun County Courthouse - 1846-1852, Lavaca (now Port Lavaca).
Second Calhoun County Courthouse - 1857-1886, Indianola, constructed of concrete and lime by architect Edward Beaumont, damaged by hurricane in 1875; destroyed by hurricane 1886.
Third Calhoun County Courthouse - 1887, Port Lavaca, Greek Revival Style, 50' x 50' frame building built by E. L. Miller (on the same location as the current courthouse).
Fourth Calhoun County Courthouse - 1911, Port Lavaca, Brick Classic Revival Style with four-column portico, frieze and pediment and paired columns on the sides, lone star in the center of the pediment. Demolished in 1959.
Current Calhoun County Courthouse - 1959, Port Lavaca, Modern Style Courthouse designed by Rustay and Martin built by the D. W. Marshall Construction Corporation with concrete, steel and aluminum. Jail on the top floor used until 2001. Renovated in 2005 and 2006 replacing the interior.
Calhoun County Courthouse
Calhoun County Clerk's Office
211 S. Ann St
Port Lavaca, TX. 77979