Churches      

 

 

 

 Brown County Church List

Lee AME Chapel, Brownwood Named for Bishop Benjamin Franklin Lee (1841-1926), Lee Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1888. Led by the Rev. George E. Smith, who also organized the first school for blacks in Brownwood, the congregation first held worship services in Mt. Zion Baptist Church. Later services were held in a brush arbor at Smith's home. The first church building, originally located at Cordell and Henderick streets, was moved to this site in 1906. An integral part of the city's history, Lee Chapel A.M.E. Church continues to serve its community.  Historical Marker Text, 1989

First Baptist Church, Brownwood

First Methodist Church South, Brownwood click to enlarge

First Presbyterian Church, Brownwood click to enlarge

 

St Mary's Church and Rectory, Brownwood 

St. John's Episcopal Church St. John's Episcopal Church, Brownwood,  History, National Register listing
 

Rocky Creek Baptist Church, 8 miles north of Brownwood on FM 279 to intersection with CR 557 (4301 CR 557). Eighteen people gathered under a brush arbor near Rocky Creek in Brown County on August 18, 1877, to organize a Baptist congregation. They called the Rev. R. L. Baker as their first pastor, and by November began construction of a one-room church building. It was replaced by a larger structure in 1889, and in 1919 that building was destroyed in a storm. The congregation ceased meeting for two years, but in 1921 came together to once again build a new house of worship. The church grew in the ensuing decades, offering a variety of worship, educational and outreach programs. New structures were completed at this site in 1952 and 1983. The congregation continues to serve the community. Historical Marker Text, 2001