Military                   

 

 

 

Civil War   
Confederate Pension Applications
Brown County ~ CSA Pension Applications
COLE, J. M. ~ CSA Pension Application
Researching A Confederate Veteran from Texas State Cemetery site
Andersonville Civil War Prison

How to Get  a Confederate Grave Marker

National Civil War Museum

Civil War Soldier's & Sailor's System
Library of Congress Civil War Photos
U.S. Army Military History Civil War Photographs
Civil War Veterans of Brown County, 440 veterans, available from the Brown County Historical Commission
 

 

Camp Collier, CSA, Located 13 mi. southwest, this camp was one of a chain of Texas frontier posts a day's horseback ride apart from the Red River to the Rio Grande. Occupied by the Texas Frontier Regiment. Patrols and scouting parties frequently sent out kept Indian actions in check and rounded up draft evaders. Always needed were food, clothing, horses, ammunition. These men shared few of the glories of the war. Yet at the cost of the lives of not a few of them, these Confederate soldiers managed to bring a measure of protection to a vast frontier area. Texas Civil War Frontier Defense Texas made an all-out effort for the Confederacy after voting over 3 to 1 for secession. 90,000 troops, noted for mobility and heroic daring, fought on every battlefront. An important source of supply and gateway to foreign trade thru Mexico, Texas was the storehouse of the South. Camp Collier and other posts on this line were backed by patrols of State Rangers organized militia, and citizens' posses scouting from nearby "family forts." This was part of a 2000 mile frontier and coastline successfully defended by Texans. Historical Marker Text, 1963

Camp Collier, located at Vaughn's Springs on Clear Creek in southwestern Brown County, was one of sixteen military installations established by the Confederacy in Texas after the Union Army evacuated the desolate stretches of the Texas frontier. Read the Camp Collier History from the Handbook of Texas Online

Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall & USO, Brownwood

Military Resources

Index to Military Rolls of the Republic of Texas 1835-1845  Information about military service of individuals who served the Republic of Texas
Rootsweb Guide to Military Records
National WWII Memorial
World War I - Trenches on the Web website
World War I Draft Registration Database at Rootsweb.com
Spanish American War website
Researching a Spanish American War Veteran
How to Get a Military Headstone or Marker

Armistice Day Parade, Brownwood click to enlarge

Camp Bowie

Huge World War II training base, Camp Bowie was a home of the "Texas" 36th Division and trained many other units, including the "Dixie" 31st, 4th, and 13th Armored; and 113th Cavalry. It was also Seventh Headquarters of Special Troops, Fourth Army. Here, too, Gen. Walter Krueger was Commander of the VIII Corps Area Troops. The camp had a capacity of 45,000. Commanders were Col. K.L. Berry, Gen. C.V. Birkhead, Col. F.E. Bonney, Col. A.G. Brown, and Col. K.F. Hanst. Camp operated Sept. 1940 to 1946, when 45th Div. was deactivated. It was named for James Bowie, hero of the Alamo siege, 1836. Historical Marker Text, 1968. Site of Camp Bowie, At entrance to 36th Division Memorial Park, Burnett Street near Morris Sheppard Road, Brownwood

Camp Bowie was established at Brownwood in September 1940 as an infantry and artillery training center for the Thirty-sixth Infantry Division, Texas National Guard, and was named in honor of the Texas patriot James Bowie. It was the first major defense construction project in Texas in World War II.  Camp Bowie was declared surplus by a War Department order, effective August 31, 1946.  Read the Camp Bowie History from the handbook of Texas Online

History of Camp Bowie
Camp Bowie Announcement - 1945
The 36th Infantry Division In World War II
Camp Bowie - Exploring Burned Rock Middens at Camp Bowie from the Brown County History site

Camp Bowie

 
Brown County World War II Veterans A-G, Brownwood in World War II and Veterans H-Z, Women in the Military, the Story of Camp Bowie two different volumes available from the Brown County Historical Commission