It was established as a railroad stop and named for G. B. Hovey, an official of the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway, when the tracks reached the site in 1913. That year a post office was established there; it closed in the 1930s. By the early 1930s Hovey had a business and an estimated twenty-five inhabitants. Its population was reported at that level until the late 1940s, after which no further statistics were available. The 1982 county highway map identified the Hovey townsite but showed no structures there. Source: Handbook of Texas Online
Hovey School. About 1910 a railroad stop named Hovey was established about 40 miles west of here on the Kansas City, Mexico, and Orient Railroad. By 1913 Hovey contained a depot, post office/general store, and several stock shipping. Hovey school was established in 1913. The first school building burned and in 1916 this schoolhouse was erected in Hovey. It served as a one-teacher seven-grade school for Anglo and Hispanic students of the rural ranch community of Hovey. After the school closed in 1938 the building served as a community center. It was moved here in 1987. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1994. Marker located near intersection of 2nd and Spring Dr. Ft. Stockton.