A county rural school district was established in Mesquite around 1905 and served the area until the late 1920s or early 1930s. Located in a relatively isolated area apart from major highways, Mesquite remained a rural farming settlement. Several scattered houses and an abandoned schoolhouse were reported there in the 1970s and 1980s. The community was still marked on county highway maps in 2000, but no population estimates were available. Source: Handbook of Texas Online.