Seymour, 1922. The county seat of Baylor County has a population of 2,600 and an assessed valuation of $2,095,780.
It is one of the most attractive and home-like towns in the North west portion of the state.
Its streets are generally well graded and paved, and there are no electric light or telephone poles allowed on the ten miles of concrete sidewalks. Underground wires are demanded of the Public Utility Corporations. It has two railroads with a union passenger and freight station.
There are two three-story school buildings, one of stone and one of brick. There are two National Banks, with a combined capital of $250,000 and deposits aggregating $771,648,000 and one state bank with a capital of $35,000 and deposits of $92,377,000.
There are three cotton gins and one cotton compress, an electric light plant, a cotton seed oil mill, an ice plant, two grain elevators, the city owns and operates the water works and sewerage plants and there is a well equipped fire department and telephone system.
There are seven churches, representing the more prominent denominations, and five of the fraternal organizations.
There is a splendid courthouse, the park of which is beautifully set with shade trees and flowers, and is one of the most beautiful and attractive in the state. There is also a beautiful city park of seventy acres. with swimming pool and a baseball park, provided with swings, slides and other entertainment facilities. It has a live Chamber of Commerce. a Post of the American Legion. Public Library, Social and Literary clubs. all of which contribute to make it one of the most desirable places of residence. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis.
Seymour 1879. BAYLOR. Creaset: The town of Seymour is now one year of age. It is the capital of Baylor county, is beautifully situated in a wide extending plateau, near the confluence of Seymour creek, from which it derives its name, and the Brazos river. - Galveston Weekly News, Galveston, TX 6 Nov 1879