Young School House and Cemetery. In 1872, area pioneer John P. Young (1829-1906) donated two acres of his land for a community school and cemetery. The earliest marked grave, that of W. T. Sanders, is dated 1874. Since then, the cemetery has been used primarily by area settlers and their descendants. Shortly after the land was donated, community leaders opened a five-month term school, which was named in honor of John Young. With the help of carpenter Samuel D. Sanford, this schoolhouse was constructed in 1872 of hand-hewn pine logs. Young School closed in 1907 when the rail line was laid through the Upton community (3 mi. N.), and a larger school was established there. Although no longer in use as a schoolhouse, the building has been maintained as a community center and has been the site of worship services for several area congregations. Young School House Baptist Church, whose roots date to 1910, continues to worship at the site. The building has been moved twice to make room for more cemetery plots. Much of the history of this part of Bastrop County revolves around Young School House and Cemetery, each of which has been in use for more than 100 years. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1983. Located 7 mi. west of Smithville on FM 2571, 2 mi. south on Young School House Rd. (CR 280), then east on CR 281 .1 mi.