McDade. Laid out 1871; named for Jas. McDade, Brenham lawyer. Became a thriving town, important freight center and early-day stage stop. School-church was built 1872; vigilantes (organized 1883) lynched three men on Christmas Eve, causing a shoot-out next day at the Rock Saloon (now a museum). - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1968. Incise in base: McDade was settled in 1869. Located at US 290 and Loop 223, McDade.
McDade Baptist Church. This congregation was organized on July 18, 1880, under the leadership of the Rev. J. D. Wright, who also served as first pastor. Originally known as the McDade Baptist Church of Christ, the fellowship worshiped in a union church building shared with other denominations. In 1900, the Baptists purchased the Union Building from the other congregations, and it served as the church's sanctuary until 1948, when an army chapel, purchased from nearby Camp Swift, was moved to this site. With an emphasis on worship and education, the McDade Baptist church has been a strong part of the community's cultural and religious history. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 2002. Located 198 El Paso St (0.5 mi. N of US 290E at intersection of Waco and El Paso).
Three Oaks (Goerlitz) Cemetery. The earliest marked graves on this site were those of infant Peter Goerlitz and two-year-old Emma Goerlitz. The property was primarily a family cemetery until 1893, when Peter Kellermier deeded one acre for burial purposes. The cemetery was long associated with the Catholic church located on its north side, and was known as the Catholic Cemetery. The church declined in the early 1930s; the site became known as the Goerlitz Cemetery because of the number of family members interred there. In 1975 the name was changed to Three Oaks to better represent all those interred here. There are thought to be unmarked graves and lost headstones. Veterans of World War I and World War II also are interred here. Three Oaks Cemetery continues to serve the surrounding area. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1999. Located 2 miles west of McDade on US 290, then north on CR 99.