Bastrop Christian Church. Founded before 1857. Members first met in courthouse, and then in rock church built on this site in 1867. This New England Victorian building, erected 1895, has the old rock church's bell, which earlier was used on a Colorado River steamboat. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965. Located at Corner of Church and Spring Streets, Bastrop.
Bastrop Methodist Church. The nucleus of the present church was formed in 1835 by lay preacher James Gilleland at a time when very few Texans dared to defy Mexican laws outlawing Protestant worship. The first building for this church was erected 1851, one block northwest of here. Cost of land (farm lot) was $250. The present structure was initiated in 1924, renovated in 1953. Sanctuary now contains chancel altar rail, pews, and memorial windows from the 1851 church, thus the old and new are blended here, making this building an historic landmark. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1968. Located at 1201 N. Main St., Bastrop.
First Baptist Church of Bastrop. On August 3, 1850, Elder G. G. Baggerly, pastor at the First Baptist Church of Austin, organized the Missionary Baptist Church of Bastrop with eleven members. On September 5, 1850, the new church sent its first messengers to the Colorado Baptist Association's fourth annual session in Seguin. Membership grew to 34 by 1853, and the church, in cooperation with two other organizations, shared a two-story frame structure at the corner of Pecan and Chestnut streets. The congregation met only once a month, and membership suffered during the difficult years of the Civil War and Reconstruction. The building was destroyed by fire in 1863. By the 1880s, the Baptist church was enjoying a resurgence in membership and built a new structure on Pecan Street near the site of the 1853 building. The congregation continued to prosper in the following decades, and in 1909 was renamed First Baptist Church of Bastrop. Twenty years later, a lot on the corner of Water and Farm streets was donated to the congregation for a new building, which was completed during the years of the Great Depression. Continued growth resulted in acquisition of additional property and construction of larger facilities. By the end of the 20th century, it had become the largest Baptist congregation in Bastrop County. From its beginning, the First Baptist Church of Bastrop was organized to support local, state and foreign missionary endeavors. It continues to play a vital part in mission work and to serve the community in a variety of ministries. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 2001. Located at NE corner of Water & Farm Sts.
Mt. Olive Baptist Church. African American citizens of Bastrop established Mt. Olive Baptist Church in 1874, first meeting in a brush arbor. After a short time, Mary Francis Handly donated land and a small sanctuary was built, with a split cedar log pew for the congregation. This house of worship served the community until 1895, when a small frame sanctuary was built. Elm Grove School was established in 1897, with Ben Clayton, F.W.R. Thorne and Abe Yancey as trustees. The rural school enumerated 89 pupils and shared the same frame building as Mt. Olive. Soon the frame sanctuary also proved too small for the growing church. Under the leadership of Reverend H. W. Luckett (1874-1924), Mt. Olive purchased three acres at this site from Jim Franklin in 1909 for a new church property. Trustees George Brooks, Samuel Franklin Thorne and Henry Barnett bought the acreage for thirty dollars. Mount Olive Evergreen Cemetery was also established on the land, just northeast of the church building. In 1912, trustees Abe Yancey, Tom Anderson and F.W.R. Thorne bought an additional acre from Samuel Franklin Thorne and built an addition perpendicular to the sanctuary as a dedicated classroom. Classes continued at Elm Grove until 1957, when the school consolidated with Bastrop. The 1909 sanctuary is a front gabled rectangular plan building with an offset entrance and spire, shiplap siding and peaked windows. The 1912 addition, built perpendicular to the chancel, is side gabled with banks of double-hung windows and board and batten siding. The church has continued to serve the community as a cornerstone of worship and social activities. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 2008. Located at 250 Mount Olive Road, Bastrop.
Union Hill Missionary Baptist Church. According to local tradition this site was used by area slaves for gathering purposes. Silvie Story, William Hill, Martha Young, Paulie Johnson, Grant McBride, and Martha J. Hill organized this church in 1864 with the help of the Rev. Joshua Brice. Early baptisms took place in the Colorado River. By 1900 the congregation consisted of about 20 members. The C. M. Rogers family deeded 9 acres to the church in the early 1900s. An educational facility was built in 1976 and a new sanctuary in 1988. The congregation continues to provide worship and educational services for the community. - Historical Marker Text. Marker erected 1995. Located on FM 969 approx. 6.6 mi. northwest of Bastrop.