Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.

Janes, Texas

Janes, on the Pecos and Northern Texas Railway two miles southeast of the site of present Muleshoe in Bailey County.

History

Janes was established in 1912 by E. K. Warren. It was probably named for members of the Janes family, early settlers and landowners in the area. In 1913 a post office was granted to the community. Janes gradually grew to include a store, a bank, and a hotel, which was moved by James Johnson from the old town of Hurley. When the railroad built its station at Muleshoe rather than at Janes, the latter community declined. The Janes post office was moved to Muleshoe in May 1914, and its businesses soon followed. After Muleshoe became the county seat, the Janes community ceased to exist. Source: Handbook of Texas Online