Archer City, Texas
Archer City was named for Branch Tanner Archer, a leading figure in the Texas Revolution and Republic of Texas. The county was established and Archer City designated county seat by the state legislature in 1858, but the county was not organized until after the removal of the Kiowas and Comanches from the area. The townsite was originally surveyed in 1876 and was intended to lie on the projected paths of three railroad lines—the Fort Worth and Denver, the Houston and Texas Central, and the Red River and Rio Grande. A local post office opened in 1878, and in about 1879 C. B. Hutto settled nearby and platted the town; he donated land for a town square, a lot for a county jail, and lots for the construction of Protestant churches. He also donated a "frameless wooden building" to be used as a county courthouse.
Archer County's first church, the First Baptist Church, was organized in the town in 1880 with eight members meeting in a building intended as a saloon. The town soon after voted to ban the sale of alcoholic beverages, so the building continued to serve as a church; from 1881 to 1886 it was the first school building. In 1884 the estimated population of Archer City was 150, and the principal business was county administration. Cotton was the most important shipped product, although the railroad had not arrived yet.
By 1890 the population was an estimated 250, and a weekly newspaper was being published. The town now had daily mail and a daily stage to Wichita Falls. In 1892 the post office name, Archer, was changed to match the town's name. An ornate stone courthouse had been built, two more churches had been organized, and a brickyard and a hotel had opened. By 1900 the town had a bank and three livestock dealers, although cotton remained the staple of outside trade. Read more Archer City History from the Handbook of Texas Online.
Archer City, the county seat, is situated four miles southeast of the geographical center of the county. It has a population of about 800, a cotton gin, two grain elevators, a milk pasteurizing plant, flour mill, three banks, all kinds of mercantile establishments, two abstract plants, a magnificent school building, a beautiful courthouse and a jail. The Wichita Falls & Southern Railroad extends through Archer City to New Castle, Texas, in Young County. Operations are in progress and the railroad will, in the near future, be extended and connect with the Texas & Pacific at Cisco. - History of Texas, 1922, by W. Barrett Travis, page 705.