Texas History, Genealogy, Old Photos, Postcards, Maps, and Information.
Javascript is required to view this map.

Lufkin Businesses 1888

W. H. BONNER, JR.
On the south-west corner of Cotton Square, you find the store of Mr. VV. H. Bonner, Jr., who commenced business at Homer in 1878, moving to Lufkin in 1882, where he has done business since. He carries a large and varied stock of general merchandise, his annual sales running up to some $35,000. He is assisted in carrying on the business, by his brother Mr. Frank Bonner, and Mr. B. S. Milam, who has charge of the books and also acts as salesman when occasion requires.

R. P. WALKER & CO.
This house successfully caters to the tastes of residents and visitors, having on band only the best of wines, liquors and cigars. Their bar room is neatly and tastefully fitted up and the best of order is always maintained by the proprietors, who commenced business at their present stand about six months ago. They aim to please those who patronize them by serving first class articles. They keep bottled beer on hand and also a choice variety of cigars.

W. C. DENMAN.
The Lufkin Livery Stable is kept by the above named gentleman, who has constantly on hand neat hacks and buggies and good horses to hire at reasonrble rates, also accommodations and feed for teams of those visiting town.

W. C. DENMAN.
About six hundred yards south-east of Cotton Square, is the steam gin and grist mill of Mr. W. C. Denman. It is a great convenience to those who have farms near town and enjoys the liberal patronage of the people of Lufkin vicinity.

THE LUFKIN HOUSE.
This hotel, kept by Mrs. M. E. Crosier, is well known to all who visit Lufkin. No pains are spared to secure the cemthrt of the guests, and the table contains every luxury the market affords.

LUFKIN CASH STORE.
The proprietor, Mr. W. B. Clark, is the pioneer merchant of Luf kin, having begun business here in 1882. He keeps on hand a choice stock of hats, boots, shoes, notions, dry goods and gents' furnishing goods.

I. D. CLARK.
This house started in 1886 and deals in groceries, hardware, cutlery, stove, bacon, flour, salt, tobacco and bagging and tics, Making a special feature of flour and stoves. Mr. Clark is an experienced grocer and makes his purchases with that care and judgment that enable him to please his customers.

C. A. LEWIS.
Mr. Lewis is a house-carpenter,and dealer in sash, doors-and blinds. He also carries a line of coffins and caskets. He is prepared to make contracts to erect buildings, and do the same in a workmanlike manner. This firm does a general blacksmithing business, shoeing horses, repairing and ironing wagons and buggies. Being machinists, they are prepared to do any and all kinds of work generally done in their line. They are first-class workmen.

Continued

Location

31° 20' 17.664" N, 94° 43' 44.76" W