Tennessee Colony History 1936
Another citizen who was forcibly persuaded to leave Tennessee Colony in those days was one of the early settlers, who had upheld the negroes in their plans. The owner of more than one hundred slaves before the war, and one of the richest men of the Colony, the neighbors felt that the community would be better off with his corrupt character removed. He was a Major Porter.
Tennessee Colony had the distinction of organizing the first baseball club in Anderson County. P. H. Hughes was its organizer and first president. This was in 1869. Two of the first members were B. Rogers and Sidney Newsome. Quite a social angle to the sport was given in the summer when the baseball tournament would be held at the Colony. Baseball alternated with fishing and swimming for day time activities, while dancing made the nights merry.
Tennessee Colony has another record of which to be proud: It was the first Anderson County settlement to prohibit the sale of intoxicants. Mr. Sam Jackson, now a prominent citizen of Corsicana, was a zealous leader in the victorious campaign which secured "local option" for the colony.
A Centennial History of Anderson County, Texas, 1936 by Pauline Buck Hohes.
Tennessee Colony Schools. Tennessee Colony's first school was taught in a log building north of Mr. Lonnie Carroll's farm, in 1851. Mr. Grant Kerksy was the teacher, and Mrs. M. S. Avant was one of his pupils. Mr. Kirksy was succeeded by Mr. Smith and Mr. Walter Kirksy. In 1853 a building was erected as a school house, church and Masonic hall combined. The building was two stories, and the Masonic hall was up stairs. The seats for the lower floor consisted of long benches, with desks and receptacles for books attached to backs. The seats, before this, used in the log building were split logs.