Neches History 1936
The elementary school brick building was built in 1913. Prof. Red of Palestine High School was the first Superintendent of this.
Neches was consolidated with Mount Vernon, Hollywood, and Copperas Grove, now Todd City in 1928. This was the first consolidation under the new law sponsored by Superintendent S. M. N. Marrs and others. The project was regarded as an experiment. The building consisted of three class rooms and a small auditorium. For the first two years, Prof. J. H. Houser served as Superintendent. Prof. Geo. Tipton succeeded him in 1931, to serve to the present. Neches schools became accredited the first year of Mr. Tipton's superintendency. The Junior High School and the vocational home economics and agriculture and four new teachers were all added to Neches School during the year 1931.
The vocational department of the Neches Schools has achieved highest recognition in the state in all forms of contest and class work. The boys have made a beautiful cabinet in which to display the various trophies the school has won in scholastic and athletic events. The equipment in vocational departments is among the most modern in the state. Neches Schools are exceptionally fortunate as to finances. A lane gymnasium also added in 1931 resulted in the inclusion of physical education as a department. Cost of these buildings was: High School built in 1928, $21,000; gymnasium and vocational departments, $12,000. In the Spring of 1934, a commodious teacherage was built on the campus.
Mr. Tipton has been superintendent now for six years, during which time the Neches School has easily taken its rank as one of the outstanding consolidated schools of Texas. At this time very distinctive work is being done in public school music. As in other schools of the state, the children are being practiced in vocal numbers to be given at the Centennial in June when 50,000 school children will sing their welcome to visitors from a distance. As these songs, many of them, voice the glory of Texas, one can see something of the good they are doing the singers—also something of the effect they must produce on the audiences for whom they are rendered.
A Centennial History of Anderson County, Texas, 1936 by Pauline Buck Hohes.