Neches History 1936
In early days one need not go to a store to buy a neat, satisfactory pair of shoes or boots. Mr. John Todd made them. He also repaired them. Neches boasted an iron foundry at one time. It stood where residences of Homer Bell and J. C. Furnish stand today. John Hansen was its owner.
Miller, Billons and Co. owned a gin factory, which besides operating a gin, manufactured all kinds of iron utensils and machinery. It stood on the vacant lots between the residences of F. O. Carroll and Miss Lizzie Dunn. Early doctors were: Doctors J. A. Taylor, Sutherland, White, and Lawrence.
The first Masonic Lodge was moved from Mound Prairie some time in the early 80's. The first Worshipful Master is said to have been J. I. A. Capps.
In 1872 the first church, Methodist, was organized in Neches—its pastor, Rev. John Adams. Afterwards, Baptist and Presbyterian churches were organized, all three denominations using the school house for their services. On December 2, 1884, the first Methodist church was dedicated; the fiftieth anniversary of this was celebrated in 1934 with a great home coming. The first Baptist was erected in 1909. A great home coming of this church celebrated its twenty-fifth anniversary August 12, 1934. The Valley Baptist Church and the Christian Church each have buildings—one erected early in 1920—Christian in 1921. Neches first school formerly occupied the spot Christian Church now occupies.
A Centennial History of Anderson County, Texas, 1936 by Pauline Buck Hohes.
Neches School. first school in this vicinity was Stovall Academy which stood about three miles south of Neches. Among the distinguished citizens who were pupils there was B. F. Yoakum, the railroad builder. The first school in the town of Neches was built in 1872. Its teachers were Rev. John Adams and Miss Mollie Webb.
In 1888 a new two story building was erected. Jesse Vermillion, G. D. Crawford and Miss Claude Henderson were among the early teachers.
Stovall Academy, torn down later and rebuilt in Neches, was conducted as a private school, "Parson" W. A. Moore and Mrs. Worth Farrar teachers. Mr. and Mrs. L. E. Roy now own and occupy this as a residence.