Frankston History 1936
Land for school and church purposes was donated by Dan R. Murchison of Athens. For the term of 1902-3 John Brown, with two assistants, taught in a three room frame building. Doctor Ayres was the first president and Homer Garrison, secretary of the Board of Trustees. The school had the misfortune to lose by fire both this first wooden building and, in 1919, the substantial brick structure which had replaced it. These misfortunes were mitigated, in a measure, by the efficient, faithful superintendents who have labored so tirelessly to build up the school. These in their regular order have been: John Brown, L. T. Frizzell, W. F. Davis, Miss Mary Brown, Dennis Brown, E. F. Rollins, E. Core, W. W. Dover, Joe Slaughter, again Mr. Brown and Mr. Rollins and R. M. Wedgeworth, who is superintendent at present. School now has twenty-two affiliated credits.
In 1905 the first bank was organized, with J. M. Cook, President, and J. H. Robinson, Cashier. It occupied the brick on northeast corner of square. Ray Perry, President, and J. F. Austin, Cashier are the present officials. The bank under their wise guidance maintains the position of power it has always held in the up-building of the community.
Nothing aids in the growth of a town like a wide-awake newspaper. Frankston, alive to this fact, early established the Citizen..
De Long and Garrison were the earliest saw mill men of Frankston. Their saw mill, planer, and crate factory proved no inconsiderable factor in the promotion of home building, and the tomato and peach industries. The lumber business has been important from the early days of Frankston's existence—large nearby tracts of timber resulting in its development. No soil can be more favorable to the growth of the tomato and the peach than that around Frankston, consequently their cultivation for commercial purposes naturally follows. Frankston ships many car loads each season, not only of tomatoes and peaches, but of many other fruits and vegetables.
The many fertile farms surrounding Frankston grow a vast amount of cotton. It is said that Frankston is one of the leading cotton markets of its size in East Texas. The T&NO running direct from Dallas to Beaumont, through Frankston, gives Frankston shippers a great advantage. The markets of Dallas and the South are equally convenient, and farmers and business men are reaping the benefits which follow that condition. Its growth has been steady since that day in 1901 when the first "iron horse" made its entry into the town.
As all sections of Anderson County, Frankston showed herself 100% patriotic during the World War. On all the various "drives"—Liberty Bond, W. S. S., Red Cross—Frankston "went over the top." Also, she furnished her full quota of brave boys for the battle front.
Frankston now has its water works and electric light systems, and is also supplied with natural gas. In short, the citizens of Frankston have all the modern conveniences and comforts which tend to make life easier, more enjoyable. When it is added that many beautiful and elegant homes are found there, that automobiles and radios are owned in many of them, something of the real pleasures of life in Frankston may be seen.
- A Centennial History of Anderson County, Texas, 1936 by Pauline Buck Hohes.